It’s official. The European Commission has approved the 2021-2027 Interreg Greece-Italy programme.
Discover here the final version and enjoy reading!
We are proud to announce that on 8th September 2022 the European Commission adopted the Interreg VI-A Greece-Italy Programme for the period 2021-2027 with the Final Decision n. 6578.
With a budget of EUR 106 million euro, the programme will continue to fund joint projects between Italian and Greek entities, focusing on green and digital growth and exploiting the opportunities of the blue economy.
The total budget is co-funded by European Regional Development Fund (E.R.D.F.) for 75% (79.582.928,00 ) and 25% of National Funds of Greece and Italy.
The Programme Area has been enlarged with the addition of 2 new Italian regions, namely Basilicata and Calabria Regions, covering 11 regional units from Greece and 11 provinces from Italy with a territory of 59.950,83 km2 and a total population of 7,1 million inhabitants.
More specifically, it embraces:
3 Greek Regions
- The Region of Western Greece: Aitoloakarnania, Achaia, Ileia;
- The Region of Ionian Islands: Zakynthos, Kerkyra, Kefalonia, Lefkada;
- The Region of Epirus: Arta, Thesprotia, Ioannina, Preveza;
3 Italian Regions
- The Region of Puglia: Provinces of Foggia, Bari, Brindisi, Lecce, Barletta-Andria-Trani (BAT) and Taranto;
- The newly added Region of Basilicata: Province of Matera
- The newly added Region of Calabria: Provinces of Catanzaro, Cosenza, Crotone and Reggio Calabria.
The Interreg VI-A Greece-Italy 2021-2027 strategy was designed on the basis of European Cooperation objectives and requirements and on the basis of public consultations and analyses of needs, opportunities, challenges, strengths and weaknesses in the programme area.
Thus, 4 priorities were defined under which the cooperation programme will support cross-border projects:
- Priority 1 Enhanced cooperation for a more competitive and smarter Greece-Italy area
- Priority 2 Enhanced cooperation for a greener and low carbon Greece-Italy area
- Priority 3 Enhanced cooperation for a more social and inclusive Greece-Italy area
- Priority 4 Enhanced governance for cooperation in the Greece-Italy area
New projects and challenges: Greece-Italy is ready to engage on environment, climate warming, innovation, inclusion training and youth.